Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Ich bin nicht krank, bin nicht--o nein...

After days of self denial, I'm finally admitting that I'm sick. Being sick while abroad is depressing because all the fun and excitement are passing by while you're sniffing and blowing away your nose under the covers, and no matter how much carrot juice you drink, the ringing in your ears won't go away.

Which is why I'm writing this new post to remember happy things! My commandment to myself: thou shalt not wallow in misery during your time abroad!




Two weeks ago I met up with Krista, Linda, and Eugene in a mini-Davidson-reunion in Kreuzberg. It felt good to see familiar faces again here in Berlin. Small world, right? It's so nice to be able to just sit down in a bar and talk. It was hard to find a table on Friday night, but we managed. The Mexican themed bar looks pretty inconspicuous from the street, but the inside is warm and homey, and the walls are decorated with cool murals and old pages from books in Spanish. No loud music, nobody puking in the bathroom. Perfect. I could definitely get used to this.


Now this is what a stereotypical German meal is like: potato salad, wurst, and 4 different kinds of beer. If I actually ate this kind of meal everyday, I'd be gaining a lot of weight (actually I might be anyway, I just haven't weighed myself in a while...). This photo was taken during my class trip to a brewery, and the point of which was to see the process of beer manufacturing. We sampled various types of beer, which look and taste different because of different temperature, grains, and yeasts used during the manufacturing process. The tour was fun, and the lunch there was of course delicious, though I confess that I didn't finish all that beer in sight that we had class in the afternoon, and reading Goethe in a drunken state is highly unrecommended.



2 comments: